Gone Rockin'

Thursday 21 August 2014

Arcade Restaurant, Memphis

Like I said in my last blog post, I am a huge Elvis fan and during my last trip to Memphis, I was lucky enough to see a lot of Elvis related sights. Among the lesser known haunts on the tourist trail, is the fabulously retro Arcade Restaurant. In the 50s, as Elvis' career took off, he found it more and more difficult to go out without being harassed by over-zealous fans. The Arcade provided his favourite food, discrete staff and most importantly, a quick getaway route should the place become swamped with petticoats and bobby socks ;)


I ate here twice during my trip, for lunch and breakfast and both times I wasn't disappointed. Vegetarians are clearly not common customers in the South and it can be a little bit tricky to find anything other than a garden burger in most bars and diners. The Arcade are very flexible when it comes to breakfast, offering to replace the meat with a fruit platter for no extra cost and providing a pretty good choice of salads, pizzas and sandwiches.

Of course my favourite thing about the diner is the history and retro decor which doesn't appear to have changed in the last half a century. The faded atomic print on the diner tables, bar stools and advertisements are authentically mid-century and it is without doubt, my favourite diner.












No comments:

Post a Comment